Stats Entry - Frequently Asked Questions / Known Bugs
Send your questions to me at email@example.com, and I will get to them ask quick as I can. This is a work in progress. Your comments will help to make this a better tool.
-Donny Axtell, ACTC Rides Statistician and website programmer, firstname.lastname@example.org
last updated Feb 6, 2012
Q - What about Guest riders? - Instructions for using the "New Rider" checkbox
A - The stats entry program will automatically check to see if a rider is a member or a Guest/non-member.
The names database contains all 1100+ members plus 400+ non-members who went on a ride last year.
- Do NOT use the "New Rider" checkbox to show the rider is a guest. Only use the "New Rider" checkbox if the
rider's name is not yet included in the list.
- Enter the first few letters of either the first or last name, until the rider's name appears in the list.
Then click on the name in the list to enter it into the ride sheet.
- If the name is not yet in the list, then carefully enter both the first and last name into
the textboxes and only then click the "New Rider" checkbox. The name will now be added to the ridesheet
plus it will be added to the names database.
- It is important to think twice before clicking the "New Rider" checkbox.
First, is the new name really just a variation of another name that is already in the database?
Second, be sure to capitalize the first letter and double-check the spelling, as this new name will
be used later for all other name searches.
Q - What about Leaders and Sweeps? - Instructions for entering or changing these
A - Every ride needs to have a leader-1. Leader-2 and Sweep are optional. Any of these must also be listed as a rider.
- To change Leader-1, first click on the Leader-1 radio button, and then click on the name from the list.
After clicking, the radio button will switch back to "Rider", or else the next name entered would again change Leader-1.
- To enter or change Leader-2 or Sweep, first click on that radio button, and then click on the name from the list.
After clicking, the radio button will switch back to "Rider", or else the next name entered would again change Leader-2 or Sweep.
- To remove either Leader-2 or Sweep, first click on that radio button, and then click on the "Remove" checkbox.
After clicking, the radio button will switch back to "Rider", and the "Remove" checkbox will become unchecked.
- Leaders and Sweeps must also be listed as a rider. To do this requires 2 clicks of the name, first as either
Leader-2 or Sweep and next as "Rider".
- Note: Because these ridesheets are organized by Leader-1, changing Leader-1 will remove the ridesheet from
your list after it is saved, as it will then be assigned to the new leader.
I will consider changing this, but this is how it happens now.
Q - How do I change a rider's miles or goat credits after I already entered and saved the ride sheet?
A - You can edit a ride sheet multiple times if needed. And (a bit quirky) editing a previously saved ride sheet works differently.
- First, use the text boxes on the left, to select and show the corrected mileage and goat selections.
- You may also change the grizzly bear if needed, or change from goats to bear.
- Next, if you go back to the list of rider's names on the right, if you put the mouse over a rider's mileage,
the box will turn green, along with the mileage box on the left.
- Clicking on that rider's mileage box will change to the new mileage.
- To change the Goat/Grizzly details, move the mouse to inside that box (it will turn green), and click to get the new details.
Q - How do I change a rider's miles or goat credits before I saved the ride sheet?
A - There are two ways to make changes.
- You can save the ride sheet and then edit it again (see above).
- Or you can re-enter a rider's name and details and it will be overwritten.
Q - How do I remove a rider from the ride sheet?
A - There are two ways to remove a rider.
- For a previously saved ride sheet, if you move the mouse over the "remove", then that line will change to red.
Click on the "remove" to remove that rider.
- For a newly entered rider, enter the rider's name again (click from the list) and then click on the "Remove" checkbox.
This might take 2 clicks: 1) to overwrite the rider's details, and 2) to remove the rider.
Q - How can I enter an Impromptu ride into the Stats Calendar?
A - This is easy, once you know how.
- Before you do this, use the Ride-Entry tool to enter and publish your Impromptu ride, to get it approved and put onto the Ride calendar.
- You can then add the Impromptu ride into the Stats calendar at any time, either before the ride, or wait until the ride has taken place and you have the ride stats to also enter in.
- Log into the Stats-entry tool, using the same username and password as for the Ride-entry tool
- Click on "Add a New Ride" button. This will change the calendar to allow for selection of a new date.
Just click on the new date. You may change the month first if needed.
If another ride was already being shown, then it would be used to fill in the title, leader, goats, etc.
- Click "Save" to save the ride. You may then "Edit" the ride to add the ride stats, either now or later.
Q - What about Canceling a Ride? - Instructions for Canceling, and assigning a New Date
A - It is very easy to Cancel (or Un-Cancel) a ride.
- First rule is that only rides with zero riders may be canceled.
If riders are already listed for that ride, then it cannot be canceled.
- If a ride is Canceled, but then riders went on it anyway, then the ride can be Un-Canceled to allow entry of those riders.
- When viewing the ride sheet, click on the Cancel/Uncancel button, to toggle it to either Canceled or Missing.
- To move the ride to a new date, first mark the ride as Canceled (not Deleted). Then while still viewing that ride sheet,
click on "Add a New Ride" button. This will change the calendar to allow for selection of a new date.
Just click on the new date. You may change the month first if needed.
All of the details from the ride sheet should now be copied to this new date.
Q - What is the difference between Canceling a Ride and Deleting a ride?
A - There is a difference.
- Cancel a ride when it is already in the ride schedule, but then was rained out, etc.
- Delete a ride when it got into the schedule by error and so should not be there. Double-listing, etc.
Q - Why can't I choose Various?
A - "Various" is allowed for a grizzly bear or billy goat only for the listing of a ride where the actual bear or goat is uncertain
at that time. But once the ride has been led, then a choice must be made to select one of the other existing bears or goats.
Q - After entering in one or more ride sheets, I checked my total miles, goats, etc, but they were not updated.
What's up with that?
A - After this new tool is totally completed, then riders miles, goats, etc will be automatically updated after each ride sheet is saved.
But because this is a work in progress, that ability is further down the list of things to do. More important is to ensure that
the data going into the ride sheets is free of errors and (very, very, very important) does not corrupt the other ride sheet data that is
already there. The statistician will run the data summary routines every once in awhile as more ride sheets are entered.
Q - Can I enter stats with my iPhone?
A - Not yet. But maybe some day. This would take a lot more programming, but it might work.
Q - Bug - Edit/Add page does not show up when using Firefox
A - Fixed 1/31/2012 - a multi-line comment was causing the problem. It should be working OK now.